Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Thinking for Myself

I voted for McCain in 2008, but I don't hate Obama. Nor do I want him to fail. I think he has made some good decisions and some bad ones. Bush's ban on stem cell research came from a religious place, and I think it's a good thing that Obama has overturned that ban. From a purely scientific perspective, there is no reason for a ban on stem cell research. Too many Republicans though believe that removing that ban was a mistake. These people can't tell you why they think it was a mistake, but they know it is because the Republican party and Foxnews tell them it's a mistake. I have close family members who are intelligent Republicans but they walk around parroting Foxnews and other conservative pundits without understanding why they are saying what they are saying.

One recent example is the way Rush Limbaugh has become the new face of the Republican party. Many Republicans argue this is because of the Democrats and the liberal run media. Ask a Republican why Rush is the new face of the party. They all say that they believe that the media and the Democrats have created this belief. While the Democrats are certainly happy that Limbaugh is the new face of the party, it's clear that they didn't create this situation alone. The Republicans are playing right into it by having the RNC Chairman Steele apologize to Limbaugh. Steele actually said “My intent was not to go after Rush – I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh,” Steele said in a telephone interview. “I was maybe a little bit inarticulate. … There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership.” Republicans have to realize that they cannot blame the Democrats or the liberal media for their own mistakes, not when they are calling Rush a leader.

I hope the Republican party comes together and finds itself again. When I was 15 years old, I campaigned for Bush and Quayle, because I saw a party of honor that I could respect. I don't know where this party has gone. Now the only thing the Republican party seems to stand for is their hatred of Obama and the Left.

No comments:

Post a Comment